Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Weekend and Beyond


People I talk to who have just learned about my goal and blog are saying, "You're cooking for 30 days straight?!?" Well, not exactly. Here's my goal: If we are at the house for dinner, I am cooking or preparing. The 30 days has already stretched into the month of February. At this rate, it might be Spring Break before I complete this challenge.

In order to stay sane, every one needs a break. Friday night we headed to Eddie V's for a date night. Dinner was wonderful as usual. The laugh of the night came when my husband ordered the special: a dry-aged, 22 oz., bone-in, "tomahawk" rib-eye. When the waiter brought it to the table, we felt like the Flintstones. It looked like a caveman dinner. Yes, the name tomahawk comes from the shape. Imagine an 18 inch or so bone with a huge rib-eye on one end. It was quite tasty though.

Saturday night was a treat. Our friend hosted a beautiful dinner party. Absolutely gorgeous! How we all wish we could do the same, but then reality hits and we realize just how difficult it is to host a dinner for 12. In order for everything to come together seamlessly for a dinner party when you have kids, you must deport them for at least 24 hours prior to the guests arriving. She served a rosemary crusted beef tenderloin, wasabi mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus, a fresh tossed salad and 9-grain bread from Black Rooster Bakery.

Sunday night was every man for himself. Sometimes you just have to do that.

Monday night we headed out for Mexican food and to the Stock Show and Rodeo.

We were awakened at 4 a.m. this morning to "thunder sleet." Today, Tuesday, is an official snow/ice day. Unfortunately, I didn't think this would really happen. Instead of going to the grocery store yesterday while my kids were in school, I caught up on work projects and projects around the house. It's slim pickens around here. I'll have to get creative for dinner tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment