Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Hit With Kids: Mini Personalized Pizzas



One of my first "cooking experiences" was at our next-door neighbors house in Atlanta. As part of a sleepover birthday party for my friend, Mere, we all made our own mini pizzas. I still remember that -- and I loved it. Mrs. Judy had refrigerated biscuits for the mini pizza dough, jars of pizza sauce and tons of toppings: Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, pepperonis, ground beef, sausage, and maybe a few healthy veggies too (although I wasn't into veggies at that age). We all got to personalize our pizzas to our liking.

The other night when I wasn't feeling like eating much, I let the kids cook for themselves. I thought of the mini pizzas and how fun they were to make as a child. I pulled out a can of refrigerated biscuits, tomato sauce, Parmesan and mozzarella (because that's all my kids will eat on their pizza right now).

They loved it too. In less than 15 minutes, we had personalized pizzas ready to serve.

Ironically, Mrs. Judy commented on my blog the very next morning after I made the pizzas (before I had posted this). She wrote about how she remembers my mom always cooking and even making fresh blueberry pancakes for us on school days. Little does she know that 30 years later, I still remember her special personalized pizzas. It was so much fun to share that tradition with my kids. I have another favorite kid-friendly Gaskill recipe that I plan to share later in my 30-day challenge. Stay tuned ...

Mini Personalized Pizzas

Grocery List:
  • Refrigerated pizza dough or refrigerated can of biscuits
  • Jar of favorite pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
  • Parmesan cheese
  • 1 bag of Shredded mozzarella cheese (approx. 2 cups)
Additional topping options:
  • Pepperoni
  • Ground beef
  • Italian sausage
  • Mushrooms
  • Spinach
  • Olives
  • Bell peppers
  • Chicken
  • Etc.

Directions:
  • Preheat oven according to instructions on dough package.
  • If using refrigerated pizza dough, divide dough equally among children. If using biscuits, divide biscuits among children.
  • Knead dough into thin circles on a parchment covered baking sheet.
  • Top with tomato sauce.
  • Add Parmesan cheese and mozzarella.
  • Add additional toppings.
  • Bake pizzas according to dough instructions, checking often.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment