Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 22: Caprese Salad


Technically, I have achieved my 30 days!!!! But that includes a lot of leftovers, sandwiches, snack dinners, etc. To be fair, I'm going to blog 8 more original dinners. There are still so many yummy recipes I want to share. I got a little thrown off with the sickness and all the snow days --waaaayyy too much soup. Not everything I cook is served in a bowl. I promise.

Amidst all the Super Bowl leftovers this week, I did manage to make a fresh salad. No need for a recipe really. Every knows how to make this, but here are a couple of things I love for this salad.

Caprese Salad

  • 1 container Gourmet Medley Heirloom Tomato mix (They sell this at Central Market and I've seen them at Super Target from time to time. A nice colorful mix of tomatoes sold almost year-round without having to pick out a bunch of different types of tomatoes. It's done for you).
  • 1 package of fresh mozzarella (Paula Lambert's fresh mozzarella is what I usually use and it's local too. Central Market also makes its own fresh mozzarella in-house).
  • 1 bunch of fresh basil (Grow in a pot in your backyard in the summer. You'll be amazed a how much you use it. One of my girls even loves to munch on it. Strange, I know. But at least it's something green).
  • Good balsamic vinegar
  • Good extra virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh ground pepper

Slice tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Mix together. Drizzle with BV and EVOO. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Ugly photo, I know. But, at least it gives a visual.

No comments:

Post a Comment