Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 4: Memphis Barbecue Sandwiches, Coleslaw & Roasted Potatoes


Let me just say this was the easiest, yummiest dinner tonight. Everyone loved it, including the kids. First, I was so excited to pull out my new sleek Crock Pot. Yes, it sounds like an oxymoron, but trust me it's sleek compared to the country blue stenciled Crock Pot we had. I was so happy to retire that thing. My husband and I love pork barbecue. It's a little hard to find the real Memphis-style barbecue in Texas. Everything here is beef. Don't get me wrong, we love Texas barbecue too, but it's sort of nice to go back to our early years every now and then. At 11 a.m. today, I put a pork loin in the Crock Pot, added Memphis-style barbecue sauce, a little cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, turned it on high and by 5 p.m. it was pull apart, melt-in-your-mouth tender. Here's the low-down on our Memphis-style at-home barbecue dinner.

Grocery List:
  • One large pork loin
  • 1 package whole wheat buns
  • 1/2 lb. mixed small potatoes (I used the other 1/2 of the pound I bought on Monday)
  • Shredded coleslaw mix
  • Coleslaw dressing (or you can mix your own)
  • 1 large bell pepper (I served this on the side)

Items you probably already have in your pantry (If not, add it to your list):
  • 2 cups barbecue sauce
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Seasoning for potatoes (salt, pepper, rosemary - or any of your favorite spices)

Barbecue Pork
  • Add pork loin to slow cooker.
  • Add 2 cups barbecue sauce.
  • Add 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
  • Add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar.
  • Stir together. Turn slow cooker on high. Cover and cook for 6 hours on high.
  • Check occasionally. Stir sauce and turn pork.
  • After six hours, pull apart with fork.
  • Serve on wheat buns.

Roasted Potatoes
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Cut the small potatoes into quarters.
  • Place in large plastic Ziploc bag.
  • Add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add sea salt, pepper and chopped rosemary (or other preferred seasoning). Seal bag and shake to coat potatoes.
  • Place potatoes on a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil.
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until browned on the edges.

I served the meal with roasted potatoes, coleslaw and grilled red bell peppers.



2 comments:

  1. Loving your blog! Just last month Greg accidentally left our blue, floral stenciled crock pot at a Chili Cookoff. I was hoping it wouldn't make its way home so I could justify purchasing the new sleek stainless one, so your entry made me laugh. Keep these great recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny! I remember getting this when we got married and it looked dated then too. Great to hear from you, Heather. Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete