Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 11: Thai Chicken and Edamame


One of my Christmas sussies was the new Brentwood United Methodist Women cookbook, "Recipes from the Heart." The first BUMC cookbook, "The Second Most Valuable Book You'll Ever Need" has been in my cookbook collection for 15 years. It's one of my favorites, and I refer to it often. I have skimmed through the new one and tagged a few recipes that initially caught my eye. This is one of them.

Thai Chicken

1 cup salsa (I used a hot, more pureed salsa, not chunky)
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. molasses
2 tsp. water
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 tsp. oil
3 cups cooked rice
1 tsp sesame seeds

Bring to boil salsa, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, molasses and water, stirring often. Combine spices in a Ziploc bag. Slice chicken into strips. Toss chicken in spices. Put oil in skillet or wok. Brown chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked. Pour sauce over chicken. Stir. Serve over rice.

HS note: If I made this again I would top the chicken and rice with fresh chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts and a fresh squeezed lime. Also, I forgot to toss the chicken in the sauce before serving. Oops. Instead I topped the chicken with sauce once it was plated.

I served the dish with Edamame. My kids go through two bags of this a week. They love it! Lately, I've been buying the Archer Farms brand at Super Target. You'll find it in the freezer section by the frozen vegetables. It steams in the bag in the microwave for 5 minutes and then we sprinkle it with kosher salt and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment