Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 15: Chicken and Dumplings


Half way there! It's day 15, and I had big plans to make this awesome fish dish tonight. Unfortunately, we're all a little under the weather fighting off a cold. Instead of Halibut, I opted for a classic comfort food dish, Chicken and Dumplings. I used to love when my mom made Chicken and Dumplings. It was one of my favorites. Of course, she made her dumplings from scratch. I could eat a whole bowl of just dumplings. I loved them so much, and still do. About nine years ago, I discovered this quick and easy chicken and dumplings dish. It smells and tastes so good. Prep and cook time is less than 30 minutes.

Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings

Grocery List:
  • 1 rotisserie chicken
  • 1 can of refrigerated biscuits (not the flaky-layer kind, just plain buttermilk biscuits)
  • 1 can of reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
  • 1 32 oz. box of reduced-sodium organic chicken broth
  • Herbs de Provence
  • Pepper to taste

Directions:
  • Pick all chicken (dark and white pieces) off bones.
  • Shred chicken into bite sized pieces.
  • Cut individual biscuits into eighths (they will be small triangle size pieces).
  • In a stock pot, combine both soups, 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper, and 1 tsp Herbs de Provence over high heat.
  • Stir often until soups have combined and bring to a boil.
  • Add shredded chicken to soup.
  • While soup is boiling, drop in cut biscuits.
  • Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Stir often to keep biscuits from sticking.
  • Biscuits will expand and float to the top. Biscuits are done when they sink from the surface.
Enjoy!

Serve with a fresh garden salad.


2 comments:

  1. Heather, you are amazing! I can't wait to try some of these recipes. I love that they're simple and sound delicious. Keep it up, lady!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ages ago you gave this recipe to Natalie and I made it a lot in my single days. Thanks to your blog, I made it again a few nights ago. YUM! :-) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete